This ability will help you make the most of the good times and keep your perspective when times are tough. Focus on the things you’re grateful for.
Things in life you take for granted becomes even more precious.
Eating healthy food for a healthy mind
Good nutrition helps keep your brain in good condition. Some tips for eating well include:
- Make sure your diet contains enough nutrition and vitamins
- Eat a balanced diet and avoid extreme low-carbohydrate diets, as glucose is the brain’s only energy source
- Eat more vegetables and some fruit
- Eat less processed food, especially foods that have a lot of saturated fat (like biscuits, pastries, fast foods), salty foods and drinks, and foods high in sugar
- Drink enough water for your body size and lifestyle
Improve your mental fitness
- Memory loss can be improved by 30 to 50 per cent simply by doing mental exercises.
- The brain is like a muscle – if you do not give it regular workouts, it will become weaker.
- Keep stress under control with regular meditation, exercise and relaxation – an excess of stress hormones like cortisol can be harmful to neurons.
Jewel Home Support Carers will ensure your diet chart is followed and updated as well as participating in social engagement.
- Have a social life and engage in plenty of stimulating conversations
- Read newspapers, magazines and books
- Learn a language or a dance
- Play games that challenge the intellect and memory, such as chess and Scrabble, cards and Trivial Pursuit